Monday, December 1, 2014

Two family stories related to Hiram Hamilton Eady

Hiram Hamilton Eady
born 1850 Carroll, Georgia died 1915 Cullman, Alabama
 

Two stories have passed down through my branch of Hiram's family. I'm assuming these stories were told to my grandfather, Richard L. Stricklin, by his mother, Annie E. Eady Stricklin.

The first story is about why Hiram and his children moved from Carroll County, Georgia, to Cullman, Alabama. Hiram's first wife, and the mother of his children, Sara Kinney Eady, passed away. Hiram remarried a woman named Mary Kelly. According to the story Mary Kelly was really mean to Hiram's children. One day while Mary was out visiting relatives Hiram packed up his belongings and his children in a wagon and left for Alabama.

I do know that Hiram and kids are living in Cullman by the 1900 census.

The second story is how Hiram, as a child, remembered seeing his house burning and mattresses being thrown out of the second floor windows into the trees- with feathers flying everywhere.

According to Richard Stricklin's eldest daughter, Joan, he would sometimes talk about a family plantation but my Aunt Jo didn't know if he was joking or not.

I researched the Stricklin family and could not find any records of a plantation although I did find a platte book for my Stricklin ancestors.

Hiram would have been about 12 years old at the start of the Civil War. I recently discovered through reading the history of Carroll County, Georgia, that General Sherman and his troops were staying at a train depot there while he planned his infamous March to the Sea. My guess is Hiram remembered seeing his house being burned to the ground. Now I do not know if the house was a plantation or a simple family home. To date I'm unable to verify who his parents were although many family trees list Henry H. Eady and Nancy Caldwell.

If Henry and Nancy are his parents then I may have more proof that there was a plantation involved.

I cannot find Hiram in the 1860 and 1870 censuses in Carroll County, Georgia.

The earliest record I have for him is a marriage license in Carroll County to S. E. Kinney in 1873.

 
My relation to Hiram is...
 
(Me) James Allan Noel, son of
Linda Kay Stricklin, daughter of
Richard Lester Stricklin, son of
Annie Elizabeth Eady, daughter of
Hiram Hamilton Eady
 
Hiram is my great, great grandfather.

No comments:

Post a Comment