Monday, December 1, 2014

My families I am researching

Here is a list of surnames and their known locations in history with the hope that fellow genealogists will discover this blog and recognize their own ancestors.

Noel: Vicksburg, Michigan
Cleaver, Hanna, Hamilton, Rugg

Stricklin: Cullman, Alabama; Missouri; Oklahoma; Kalamazoo, Michigan; Schoolcraft, Michigan
Eady, Kenney or Kinney: Carroll, Georgia; Cullman, Alabama
Bare: Virginia; Tennessee; Indiana; Jefferson, Illinois; Piggott, Arkansas; Malden, Missouri, Kalamazoo, Michigan
Hunsaker: Illinois

I will upload my research on the Bare family for which I believe I am the first descendant of my particular branch to compile. I'll try and upload in the coming week.

I'm currently working on my Eady/Kinney ancestors and am having a hard time. It's difficult separating fact from family legend! I do KNOW that my Eady ancestor, Hiram Hamilton Eady, was living in Carroll County, Georgia, during the 1880 census. Family legend says he was born there, too, with some family trees claiming he was born in the town of Villa Rica.

Another family legend has it that his wife, Sara "Isbell" Kinney (or sometimes Kenney) was 1/2 Cherokee from the Smokey Mountains of North Carolina. I'm beginning to think this is pure legend as I'm finding that many families have this exact narrative.

I've scoured the 1860 and 1870 census records in Carroll County and cannot find Hiram or Sara. Well, I found several Sara Kinney's, but after further research they do not seem to be my great-great Grandmother.

The earliest piece of historical fact I have found is Hiram & Sara's marriage license from 1873.

No comments:

Post a Comment